Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Treadmill

I broke my streak of running three consecutive days outside in shorts. As much as I dislike treadmills, I dislike minus three degree temperatures even more. The treadmills were all full at the gym. I had to wait a few minutes before I could get one.
I did a little interval workout on the treadmill to get the legs moving a little faster than the slower pace they have become used to.
10 minute warm-up at 8:00 / mile
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes of harder running (6:00 / mile) with 2 minutes of jogging (8:00 / mile) between each rep
10 minute cool-down at 8:00 / mile
At the end of the run I looked at the data on the treadmill. 60 minutes. 930 calories. 8.75 miles. Somehow that just doesn't do it for me. My soaked gray t-shirt gave me some satisfaction, but I didn't go anywhere in those 60 minutes. I couldn't say I went around Lake Zorinsky or to the Pumpkin Patch and back. I didn't go anywhere and that frustrated me.
I think life is a lot like a treadmill. We work hard and make no progress. We go through motions and repeat those same motions day after day after day. It's not that any of those motions are necessarily bad, but collectively they get us stuck in the same place and that is not good.
Listen to the language we use:
  • I need to take a break.
  • It's like I'm taking two steps forward and one step back.
  • I'm in a rut.
  • I'm bored.
  • It's the same old stuff just a different day.
  • I was so busy, this week just flew by.
Sometimes the treadmill of life is necessary. Homework, household management, work, getting from Point A to Point B -- they all need to be done. But life is too short to to be too busy, too bored, or stuck in a rut forever.
I pray today you find some time to try something new, to take a few steps forward, to do something you enjoy, to spend time with somebody you love, and to enjoy and embrace the journey of life.

David isn't feeling the best today

No comments: