Thursday, January 15, 2009

Plan

The other day my seven year old son, Benjamin, and I were having an interesting discussion about health insurance. Here is a very abbreviated transcript of that conversation:

BF: “Daddy, do you have to pay to go to the doctor?”

CF: “Interesting question.”

BF: “Why?”

CF: “It’s kind of complicated.”

BF: “Why?”

CF: “Well the church pays for my health insurance, the insurance company pays the doctor some money, and we pay the doctor some more money.”

BF: “Does the church pay for everybody’s health insurance?”

CF: “No. Most employers pay for part of their employees health insurance.”

BF: “If I’m a police officer or a fireman with they pay for my health insurance?”

CF: “Yes. They probably have good health insurance. Wait a second, I thought you wanted to be a pastor?”

BF: “No. I kind of changed my mind. You’re job seems pretty boring.”

First he wanted to be a railroad conductor. Then he wanted to be a pastor. Now he wants to either be a police officer or a fireman. And I’m sure it will change again sometime in the not so distant future. The conversation Benjamin and I had was a conversation that raised a question that all of us have in life: What is God’s plan for my life and what can I do about it? We have this question in many areas of our lives: work, family, play, faith, finances, etc…

The Bible gives us direction and guidance on how to listen to God and respond to God. One of my favorite Bible verses is Romans 12:1-2—And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

I pray for all of us that we discover, embrace, and live out God’s perfect and pleasing will for our lives.

Training Update:

No running today. Too busy.

No comments: