Saturday, January 10, 2009

Play

Play can be something physical that gives your mind rest. Like running. Or it can be something mental that gives your body rest. Like chess. Or it can be something mental and / or physical that somehow gives rest to your body and / or your mind and / or your soul.
I don't think that play gets quite enough credit. Those who reserve play for the children are missing out on rest, restoration, and rejuvenation of the mind, body, and / or soul. The old axiom "all work and no play make Jack a dull boy" has a deep truth of life embedded in it: that play can be a good thing.
Saturday is generally my play day. David and I built a train track. Benjamin and I play the Wii. I went running 7.5 miles on the slushy trail next to 180th Street. At the end of the day, I feel rested, restored, and rejuvenated.

David enjoying a morning of play

No comments: