Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mistake

I woke up this morning, went outside, got the paper, and came back in to get ready to go run. I thought it was nice out. I put on a pair of shorts, gloves, a cap, a few shirts, and headed out the door. I turned from my subdivision to Harrison Street and was greeted by the wind. The air temperature was cold too. Very cold. I was short on time and could only go 4 miles, so I decided to tough it out. From .66 miles to 2 miles it was brutal. Right into the north wind. When I turned around at the 2 mile mark, it got a little better, but I was still cold.

The shorts were not the best idea I had all day. In fact they were probably the worst. They weren't probably the worst. They were the worst. Yeah, I may have provided a good conversation starter for many of the drivers on 180th Street. The warm shower probably felt better than usual. Maybe there is some sort of really strange satisfaction a person gets from running in shorts when the wind chill index is right at zero degrees. But it was a mistake.

We all make mistakes. Some of them are little and we laugh. Some are big and we cry or at least wish we could cry. Some don't matter much in the grand scheme of things. Others will be with us for all the days of our lives.

We can do a few things with mistakes:

#1 Learn from them
#2 Keep making them and self-destructing
#3 Forget about them and move on
#4 Let them define us

If you want an unhealthy life, I suggest #2 and #4.

If you want a healthy life, go for #1 and #3.

Speaking of mistakes, check these mistakes out...

No comments: