Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Here is my column from this coming Sunday morning:

We all have hopes for 2009. I took a few moments to write down some of mine: for my family, for me, for the church, and for the world. Here are some of them in no particular order:
  • For my lawn to look half as good as my neighbor’s lawn.
  • For the economy to stabilize and rebound.
  • For my son, Benjamin, to score a goal during a soccer game.
  • For my other son, David, to stay off the playing field during his older brother’s soccer games.
  • To spend more time and better time with my boys.
  • To spend more time and better time with my wife.
  • For Nebraska to beat a Top 10 football team. I'll settle for a Top 25 team.
  • For peace to develop in areas where there is violence.
  • Safety for our brave men and women who are defending freedom in various places throughout the world.
  • For families in our church to be strengthened.
  • For thousands of people in Omaha to be fed by our food ministry.
  • For people to join small groups and for new small groups to be started. I want everybody to experience growth and community.
  • To get to know so many more of you and deepen my friendship with those of you I do know.
  • To break 2:45 in the Boston Marathon. I’d actually settle for finishing and not ending up in the hospital this time.
  • To finish my dissertation and graduate.
  • To organize our garage, basement, and home office.
  • For us to experience God’s forgiveness, to forgive others, and to forgive ourselves. 2009 will be a time when we can look forward and not backward.
  • For even more of us to feel comfortable inviting our friends, co-workers, classmates, neighbors, and family to worship with us.
  • For our kid’s team and kid’s ministry to continue to develop and grow. We made such great progress in 2008.
  • To say thank you more often.
  • To write in my blog more often.
  • To be a better listener. To be a better speaker. To pray more. I guess they are probably all related to each other.
  • To find better balance in life and invite others to continue on this journey with me.
  • To keep the promises I make.
  • Maybe not to worry if my lawn doesn’t look half as good as my neighbor’s lawn.

The best is yet to come…

Craig

New Year's Day Marathon Runners
Back Row: Jeff and David
Front Row: Scott, Tonya, Nicole, Craig

Great run this morning. We ran all over the place which isn't surprising since we ran 26.2 miles: the Harrison hills, the northern 192nd Street hills, the F Street hills, Mission Park hills, the Lamar's Donut / Pumpkin Patch course with a few miles of the southern 192nd Street hills added in, the Giles Street hills, and we finished up in Harrison Woods.

Six finishers: Tonya, Scott, Nicole, Jeff, David, and me. Chris ran the first 10 or so with us, then we ran with the large group of runners who ran the 14.5 mile coarse, and then the six of us finished together in my neighborhood.

This run was a lot of fun. I got to meet some new people and got to know some others who I already knew, a lot better. By the end I was ready to be done. This was a very hilly course and 3 hours and 43 minutes is a long time to be running. There were a number of ultra runners with us today at various times. I don't know how they do it.

We had nice weather. It wasn't too windy or cold. The gravel was a little tricky at times and we had a little ice too, but overall it was excellent running conditions. This was the best run of the year, to date, by far. Hope to do it again next year.

No comments: