Thursday, September 17, 2015

Big Things Happen in Small Groups

Today I’m talking about small groups. We are a church of small groups. Many of us belong to one. Small groups aren’t perfect because they are made of imperfect people. Conflict happens. Schedules change. But, there is nothing quite like a bunch of people getting together to talk about God and life.


Objections to Joining a Small Group

1. I have some really good friends in my Bunco group. Aren’t they enough

Friends from Bunco, the gym, and your child’s soccer team are all great. Keep those friendships. But consider the possibilities of spiritual friendships. Friendships where God is at the center. Friendships where grace is practiced. Friendships where the purpose is to grow closer to God together.

2. I’m afraid the leader will call on me and I will make a fool of myself.

You probably won’t be singled out. Most leaders don’t do that. Some people talk a lot. Some don’t say much at all. Everyone gets to listen and learn.

3. I don’t know the Bible very well.

This is not an excuse not to join a small group. It is a reason to join a small group. You won’t be asked to find a certain book of the Bible and read it to the group. But you will learn about the Bible and how to apply it to you life.

4. I have kids and don’t know what to do with them.

Bring them. Most groups with families with kids have childcare. Really cool things will happen. The kids will become friends. Other parents will invest in your kids. Your kids will see an example of a bunch of people committing themselves to Christ and His Church.

5. My biggest fear in life is public speaking and if they ask me to pray aloud I would freeze up and probably require medical attention.

You won’t be asked to pray aloud. But you will be taught how to pray. And that is a good thing. A really good thing.

6. I don’t know if I have enough time.

You do. We have some crazy, busy people who make time to be in a small group. Many of us have to say “no” to things we would typically say “yes” to. Jesus never said this sort of spiritual friendship would be easy. But he does say all the effort is worth it. And them some.

7. What if the people don’t like me?

Hopefully our small groups are places of inclusion and acceptance. You probably won’t be a perfect fit with everybody in the group and that isn’t a bad thing. You will learn from other people’s perspective and experiences which is one of the best things about a small group.

No comments: