Friday, January 23, 2009

Light

I don't enjoy running in the dark. Sometimes life leaves no options. Chris and I hit the roads in the cold, in the wind, on the concrete, in the dark at 5 a.m. We ran 10.5 miles in an hour and twenty minutes. I found myself dreaming of the warm and humid summer mornings at Lake Zorinsky when the sun was beating down on the lake. We got it done, but it was tough going.

Post-run I did some work, made breakfast for the family, and got Benjamin ready for school. After I dropped Benjamin off for school, I worked from 9 to 7. Amber and I went to our friend Paul's restaurant, Prima 140, for dinner. I had the most amazing walleye covered in lobster sauce. Amber had roasted Mahi Mahi in a bar-b-que sauce. I didn't get much of it, but it looked pretty good too. Post-dinner, we walked out to our car, in the dark. The same way the day began.

Darkness is the absence of light. Before the world began there was darkness. The world was void and without form. And then God said, "Let there be light." And the world has never quite been the same again. People are attracted to light. As Chris and I headed east on Harrison Street at the end of our run a hint of the sunrise was in the sky. It was hard not to look at the emerging light. In the restaurant, a little light above our table allowed me to see Amber. Light is beauty and light allows us to see beauty. Light is God's gift to us. It sure beats darkness.

No comments: