Thursday, September 6, 2007

Love

I was thinking about a wedding I am doing this weekend. I always tell couples who are engaged that love is better described as a verb than an adjective. It is something we do rather than a way that we feel. It is an action rather than a status of the heart. When we get married we promise to love when we feel like it and when we don't much feel like it at all -- for better or worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health.

Today I didn't feel like running. I drug myself out of bed and got my gear on. I elected to stay home with Benjamin and work on his first grade spelling words with him. I dropped him off at school and then made the short drive to the lake.

8 x 800 meter repeats in about 2:40 to 2:45 were the workout of the day. I warmed up a few miles and started doing the repeats on the north side of the west lake. It quickly became apparent that 2:45 was going to be pushing it. After two repeats and all the following repeats, I was ready to quit. I ended up doing all eight of them in the 2:45 to 2:50 range and felt miserable the entire time. The humidity and sun were both brutal.

On the bright side, I got it done and my day can only get better!

No comments: