Monday, March 5, 2007

Irony

Irony

Monday is the day I generally try to take off. Today was not a great day for rest. I worked much of the day. I had to squeeze in a 10K run on the treadmill at Better Bodies between a meeting with a couple whose wedding I am doing in June and the meeting of a ministry team that I lead. I had a good, easy run. I ran the 6.2 miles in 42:42 -- just under seven minutes per mile.

It is ironic, on my day off, that I have to squeeze in a run. Irony teaches us some of life's most important lessons. A situation immortalized in O. Henry's story The Gift of the Magi, in which a young couple is too poor to buy each other Christmas gifts. The man finally pawns his heirloom pocket watch to buy his wife a set of combs for her long, prized, beautiful hair. She, meantime, cuts her hair to sell to a wig maker for money to buy her husband a watch-chain. The irony is two-fold: the couple, having parted with their tangible valuables, is caused by the act to discover the richness of the intangible.

It is in the busyness of life that I learn the value of rest. It is in the complexities of life that I learn the value of the simple. So I will take Wednesday off this week.

No comments: