Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Even When You Don't Feel Like It

Even When You Don't Feel Like It

I didn't really feel much like running this morning. My training partner who was supposed to run with me had a last minute change in plans. I was still full from dinner the night before. I had to go really early in the morning because I had stuff to do all day. I had run 19 miles the day before. I was doing a track workout which isn't quite as enjoyable as a run around the lake or on the country roads. I had all the excuses.

But I went running anyway because I promised myself I would give my best effort in training for the Boston Marathon.

The workout was challenging, but I didn't go all out because I don't need an injury at this point in the journey. The workout was like this:

1 mile warm-up
1 x 3 miles in 17:36
3 minutes rest
1 x 1 mile in 5:33
2 minutes rest
4 x 400 meters in 1:16, 1:15, 1:15, and 1:13 with 30 seconds between reps
1 mile cool-down

Not attempting the workout was not an option, even though I didn't feel like it.

So here's the deal...in life we are called to love God and love others when we feel like it and when we don't feel like it. Over ten years ago I promised Amber to love her for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health--until Christ calls us home. I made a similar promise to God at my baptism. And a similar promise to Benjamin, my son, at his baptism.

Sometimes we may not feel like loving others--our spouse, our kids, complete strangers, ourselves, God, etc... Even though we may not feel like loving, we should love anyway. For two reasons: a) we are supposed to and b) it is good for us. Love when you feel like it and love when you don't feel like it.

No comments: