Sunday, March 18, 2007

Deer

Deer

I played with the boys this morning while Amber worked and then I got my sermon ready for tomorrow morning, saw a few people in the hospital, and read a poem at an Eagle Scout ceremony (Way to go Bentley!). I got everything done by about 7:00, so I decided I could run one lap around Lake Zorinsky if I hustled. I drove home, changed quickly, and was at the trail by 7:30. I made it around the 7.41 miles trail in just over 46 minutes.

The highlight of the run happened with about one mile left. It was pretty dark by this time. A deer was standing on the trail. I didn't see the deer until I was about 20 yards away. I just kept running. The deer didn't move. I ended up running within two or three feet of the deer. I was surprised it didn't run away and glad it didn't jump at me.

Two of my favorite Scriptures involve deer.

As the deer longs for streams of water,so I long for you, O God. (Psalm 42:1)

With this news, strengthen those who have tired hands, and encourage those who have weak knees. Say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, and do not fear, for your God is coming to destroy your enemies. He is coming to save you.” And when he comes, he will open the eyes of the blind and unplug the ears of the deaf. The lame will leap like a deer, and those who cannot speak will sing for joy! Springs will gush forth in the wilderness, and streams will water the wasteland. The parched ground will become a pool, and springs of water will satisfy the thirsty land. (Isaiah 35:3-7)

No comments: