Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A Beautiful Thing

A Beautiful Thing

I woke up around 4 o'clock this morning and enjoyed a Blueberry Crisp Clif Bar. I worked for a few hours and then got dressed and made some Go Grape Cytomax. As I drove to south of Gretna, I downed a full sleeve of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies and the Cytomax for some much needed fuel.

I ran on the hilly gravel roads around the Holy Family Shrine and Schramm Park. I took it pretty easy for most of the 21.7 miles. I averaging about 7:35 per mile and ran for just under 2 hours and 48 minutes. I worked some of the uphills. I climbed a total of 4441 feet and averaged 7:50 per mile running uphill. I ran Ben's Hill (.42 miles long and a 8.45% grade) two times. One of the best things about the run is that I burned about 3,200 calories or the equivalent of about 80 Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies.

It was a beautiful morning. The sun rose across the rolling countryside. Each passing hill brought a new picture. The deer and wild turkey were scattered throughout the near barren fields looking for food.

Maureen met me and we ran the last five miles together. It was good to run with her again. She had been resting much of the previous week and placed fourth in the Little Rock Marathon on Sunday.

Beauty is God's idea. It has more to do with the person looking at the object than the object itself. Two people could look at the exact same object. One may see beauty; the other may be ambivilent. Whether or not we see beauty in life most likely depends on if we understand who the Creator of life is.

Here are two of God's beautiful creatures -- both taking a nap this afternoon.

No comments: