Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Extreme

Extreme

I had a meeting all day today in Lincoln. After an all day denominational meeting, an extreme run was in order. After doing 20 miles yesterday, my legs felt surprisingly strong.

I headed out the door at sunset with a head lamp on to light the dark roads. The temperature was around 5 degrees with a stiff northwest wind blowing about 15 miles per hour. That put the real feel about fifteen degrees below zero. I ran from our house near 173rd and Harrison to Giles Road. I then ran Giles Road between 168th and 204th Streets. By the time I got to Giles, it was dark and the head lamp was on. Giles Road bewteen 168th and 204th is all hills. The road was drifting in places and I found myself running through a foot of snow at times. Thankfully the gravel road didn't have too much traffic. I think I saw five or six trucks and one car. I had an interesting conversation with one of the drivers.

Driver: Hey, what are you doing?
Me: Running.
Driver: Aren't you cold?
Me: Not really. Once you get going it's not too bad.
Driver: How far are you going?
Me: Probably about ten miles.
Driver: Are you crazy?
Me: A few people have suggested such is the case.
Driver: Are you sure you don't want a ride?
Me: No, I am good to go, but thanks.
Driver: Alright man, take care.
Me: See you.

I got in just over ten miles. If you can believe this, running uphill into a wind in the dark in about a foot of snow really slowed my pace down. I was out there for almost an hour an a half.

This run was an adventure and life is an adventure as well. Sometimes it is best to play it safe. Other times it is best to take some pretty extreme risks and experience all the possibilities in life.

No comments: