Monday, December 18, 2006

Patience

Patience

Maureen and I ran 13.33 miles this morning in about 1:45. We hooked up with Joanie, Christy, Kurt, and Pam for a few miles. I lifted with John at the gym during his lunch. We did our back and biceps. An interesting observation: I would rather run 13.33 miles than do four sets of pull-ups.

Marathon running allows runners to practice patience. And today I needed patience.

Our baby is due on Thursday. So we make our weekly visit to the doctor this morning. We waiting about 45 minutes in the big waiting room and then had another 30 minutes in the exam room. Right before the doctor was about to see us, she was called to a different hospital for a delivery. Late in the afternoon, we went back. So did lots of others who didn't get to see her earlier. We did the waiting thing again. Finally got to see her. No new news.

I thought about the day. After some reflection, I was glad I got to wait. May women try to get pregnant and are not able to. Thankfully there are doctors who and be called to deliever babies. Rearranging our schedule doesn't seem like so big of deal in the grand scheme of things.

Patience is a gift from God. (Galatians 5:22) Like a lot of other gifts, we can either choose to open them and use them or not open them and not use them.

Looking back, I can see where more patience would have been helpful today. Hopefully I can keep opening and keep using this gift that God gives us to make our lives a whole lot easier.

No comments: