Thursday, December 28, 2006

Good Friend

Good Friend

I got home from running this morning and our older child Benjamin came and hugged me. At five years old, I don't seem to get as many of those as I used to. He looked at me with a long face and said mommy was up with the baby. He asked me if I will always love him. I said, "Yes! Of course!" Benjamin and I often call each other "good friend". Probably not a perfect name for a relationship between a father and a son, but, among other things, we are good friends. We are about to build a big train track. Later we are going to go to Scheel's where I am going to get some new running shoes, he is going to get some fudge, and we are going to ride the Ferris Wheel.

I was thinking about God and how God has billions of children. He loves them all the same and all of us differently. As Augustine wrote: "God loves us like we are the only person in the whole world to love." Not based upon what we do or what we haven't done or who we are or who we are not, but based on whose we are. Our imperfect love for our children only provides us a glimpse of God's perfect love for us. It is something special to know that we are God's "good friend". (John 15:13-14)

I ran with some friends this morning. I started off fast with Paul. That is his preferred speed. Then I hooked up with Curt, Joanie, and Tracy. We ran with Christy and Jill for a while. Twice around Zorinsky--14.82 miles. The slower pace was welcome relief more my tired legs. I have put in about 60 miles in the last four days.

No comments: