Monday, September 22, 2008

Grind

(grīnd)

transitive verb ground, grind′·ing

1. to sharpen, shape, or smooth by friction

Tonight's run was nothing short of grinding out the miles. It rained all morning. It was too hot in the afternoon. I didn't want to run on a treadmill. I had excuses all day long. But I knew I needed to run. It's one of those: "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" things. I usually run before most people wake up. Tonight I ran after most people go to bed.

It was a miserable run. It was all on concrete in my neighborhood which means it was all on the hills as well. It was muggy and warm for ten o'clock at night. I didn't really even enjoy the run - which is pretty rare for me. I was just grinding out the miles. It only felt good when I stopped an hour after I started: about 8 miles or so. One thing that I have always said about running is that it is just like beating your head against the wall, it feels best the moment you stop doing it.

Sometimes life is a grind. Lots of friction. Not easy or enjoyable. Tough. But, grinding serves a purpose: to sharpen, shape, or smooth. Know that when life gets tough and seems like a grind: you are being transformed.

No comments: