Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Burdens

During my run this evening, I pushed the boys in our jogging stroller. One of my favorite activities with two of my favorite people. It was a perfect night for a run too!

Benjamin is about 65 pounds or so. I'm putting David at about 25 pounds. Running 5.5 miles isn't exceptionally difficult, but it becomes much more difficult pushing 90 pounds of kids. The extra weight doesn't matter on the downhills: I just hold on tight with one hand on the brake. Since the stroller is pretty high tech and ergonomic, the level ground is a little tougher, but more doable. Pushing the kids up a hill is nothing short of an intense workout!

I think life is kind of like pushing a few kids in a stroller. The extra baggage that we carry can make life much more difficult. We carry burdens like unforgiveness, worry, frustrations, fear, brokenness, anger, anxiety, etc... These burdens slow us down. We can't go as far when carrying them. God doesn't intend for us to hold on to these burdens all by ourselves.

He desires two things:
  1. Share each other's burdens. -Galatians 6:2
  2. Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28
I hope we can support each, be supported by others, and turn our junk over to God.

I ran without pushing the boys in the morning -- 10 miles with Christy: 3 miles warming up, 5 miles at marathon pace (about 31 minutes), and 2 miles cooling down. Nice and chilly with no wind. Perfect morning for a run.

No comments: