Friday, September 19, 2008

Dark

I woke up around 4:00 this morning. I was planning on doing a long run, so I just decided to stay up and go for it. I parked at some friend's house near Zorinsky (because cars parked at Zorinsky at 4:45 in the morning have a good chance of being broke into) and started off. The moon was pretty full and it lit the trail nicely. It was interesting, on the tree covered areas of the west side, it was very dark. Running in the dark isn't much fun and it can be dangerous.

I wonder if life isn't like that as well sometimes. Like running down a dark trail. Sometimes we do it because we have to. Other times we do it because of choices that we have made that give us no choice but to run down the dark trail. We all know that darkness in life isn't a whole lot of fun and danger is not good.

Around 6:30 it started to get light out. The sunrise over the lake was beautiful. My third and final lap around the lake I could see the deer, the turtles, the turkeys, a few bicyclists, the lake, and even a few obstacles on the path that I somehow managed to avoid during my first two passes.

Jesus says that he is the light of the world:

Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life. -John 8:12

I know in our dark world, Jesus wants to be our light. He invites us to follow him.

22.16 miles in 2:36:56. An average of 7:05 per mile. The first 18 miles were easy running. The last 4 miles were at marathon race pace.

No comments: