Sunday, September 21, 2008

Be Kind

I told a story in my sermon this morning about Benjamin approaching approaching a first grade boy yesterday who was sitting by himself. The conversation went something like this:

BF (Benjamin Finnestad): You look sad.
LB (Little Boy): I am.
BF: What's a matter?
LB: Nobody wants to play with me.
BF: You can play with me.
LB: Really?
BF: Yeah.

The boys started playing. As I watched the little laugh and smile, I looked at my own son and realized that I don't think I have ever been as proud of him as I was at that moment.

When the American novelist, Henry James, was saying goodbye once to his young nephew Billy, his brother William’s son, he said something that the boy never forgot. Of all the things he might have said, what the old novelist did say was this, “There are three things that are important in human life — the first, is to be kind; the second, is to be kind; the third, is to be kind.”

So to all who read this, my prayer for you is that you will be kind.

Listen to my message on kindness from this morning.

The only time I had to run was late this evening. I'm not much of an evening runner. I'm more of an evening sleeper. My legs, heart, and lungs were kind to me. My stomach was not! Anyway...for those of you following along...here it is:

I jogged to the Millard West track and did 1K, 2K, 3K, and 4K at a goal of 3:50 per 1,000 meters (6:10 / mile). I'll add a 5K in a couple weeks.

1K - 3:48 (6:07 pace)
600 jog
2K - 7:39 (6:07 pace)
600 jog
3K - 11:23 (6:05 pace)
800 jog
4K - 15:15 (6:07 pace)

2 mile cool-down back home. 11.5 miles total.

Congratulations to my training partner, Christy, who won the Corporate Cup this morning. Great job!

No comments: