Monday, July 2, 2007

Irony

i·ro·ny

noun

something that happens that is incongruous with what might be expected to happen, especially when this seems absurd or laughable

I woke up with a pretty decent pain in my lower back. Not a problem, I thought. A nice little run should take care of that. So I drove to the lake and met Machelle and Christy for a very sweaty run that wasn't really either nice or little.

2.5 mile warm-up. 3 x 2 miles at marathon pace with .75 miles jogging and cold water between reps.

Rep 1 -- 6:17 and 6:20 for 12:37
Rep 2 -- 6:22 and 6:10 for 12:33
Rep 3 -- 6:16 and 6:13 for 12:29

2.35 mile cool-down. Lots of Go Grape Cytomax and a dry towel after that. Good workout.

The decent pain in my lower back started getting worse as the day went on. Everybody who saw me was like: "Craig, what is wrong with you?"

So I called John's office and set up an appointment. John doubles as my weight lifting partner and is in my church. Therein lies the problem. I told all these light bulb jokes yesterday and one of them happened to be about a chiropractor. Quite ironic my back gives out the same day I tell the light bulb joke.

Q: How many doctors does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: That depends on whether it has health insurance.


Q: How many Country singers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Three. One to change it, one to sing about how heartbroken he is at the loss of the old one, and one to sing about how madly in love he is with the new one.


Q: How many Folk musicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: 40-one to do it and 39 to complain that it's electric.


Q: How many chiropractors does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Just one but it takes three visits.


Q: How many Carpenters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None. That's the electrician's job.


Q: How many University of Colorado football players does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: One, and he gets three credits for it.


Q: How many Norwegians does is take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to screw in the bulb and one to tell a long story about it...


Q: How many pastors to change a light bulb?
A: We don't know. Everyone fell asleep while he was telling us how it happened.


So after some ribbing from him and an apology from me, he got to work. I already feel better. I definitely will not be telling any light bulb jokes about dentists, funeral directors, or auto mechanics in the near or distant future.

Here is a picture of me with a healthy back. This is from the Siena Francis 10K race I ran 8 days ago. I was doing a little posing. As always, thanks to http://www.ndorfnz.com/ for the pictures.


1 comment:

DSlagle said...

Craig, you hunkahunka burnin'love,you. Wow! You're ripped! I applaud you for not being one of those sedentary, fried-chicken eatin', pastors getting ready to vapor lock over their next Big Mac. More than that, I applaud what God is doing through Water's Edge and the obedience of people like you, Amber and all those servant leaders helping you bring the Water of Life to a very thirsty world.