Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Marathon Pacing Strategy

A few days ago a friend of mine posted a well-thought out strategy to finish a sub 3 hour marathon. I sent him this response:

1 to 2 miles - Start off at an easy pace. Very proud I am running with restraint and playing it smart.

3 to 7 miles - Pick it up and run at a 2:45 pace thinking that this just might be the day when all the stars and the moons are aligned.

8 to 12 miles - Maintain the faster pace, but notice that it is getting a little more difficult.

13 miles - Multiply my half marathon time by 2 and add a few minutes because I'm not feeling the best. Realize that not only I am well under three hour pace, but also under PR pace.

14 miles - Decide to run a little easier until 20 and then I'll push the last 10K.

15 miles - Realize that I may have been a bit assertive with the pacing.

16 miles - Realize that I am a complete idiot.

17 miles - See if I can stick with the gray haired guy who just passed me.

17.1 miles - Let the gray haired guy go and start wondering where my next marathon will be and how my pacing will be different.

17.2 miles - Be thankful that Amber and I have had a nice vacation and be grateful that we both got away for the weekend.

18.85 miles - Just one more lap around Lake Zorinsky to go. A PR is still in the bag and I'll still have room to improve next time.

20 miles - 10K to go. No PR today, but sub three hours is still a lock.

21 to 24 miles. - I have lost the ability to remember anything or do math in my head. Since I'm not walking, sub 3 hours should still be in the cards.

24 miles - 9 laps around a high school track. I can do it.

25.2 miles - 1 mile to go. I have regained the ability to do math since multiplication is no longer required. I just need to add. If I can do a sub 8 minute mile I am good to go. I can do all things through God who gives me strength.

25.5 miles - I'm sticking with the young woman in the running skirt who just passed me. She seems like a good running partner.

25.55 miles - So much for that idea.

26 miles - Less than one lap around the track. I still have 2 minutes left.

26.1 miles - I can either try to outsprint the kid wearing long basketball shorts or throw-up. I let the kid go.

26.2 miles - Sub 3 hours. Realized that I had a few more seconds to spare than I thought because of chip timing. Look for a person pushing a wheel chair. Vow to quit running.

Training Update:

Nothing today. Injured (sprained ankle leftover from trail race) and sick (still having stomach issues).

No comments: