Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Economics

David and his new scooter

A sense of fear is spreading across the land, reaching very serious levels. Circuit City, Linens ‘n Things, KB Boys, and CompUSA are all in bankruptcy. The stock market isn’t bouncing back. Neither are home prices. People are losing jobs. Chrysler and General Motors are seeking more federal loans. As taxpayers we are now stock holders. Times are tough and no one seems to have an answer. It is impossible to turn on a television news program or read a newspaper without hearing or reading some sort of bad news.

Historically recessions happen. I vaguely remember the recession of the late 70s and early 80s. Growing up in northwest Iowa, I still remember those two words: “Farm Crisis.” I also remember the recession of the early 90s. It happened right when I was graduating from college and made finding a job very difficult. And we are in a recession right now.

I was thinking of advice for Christians during times such as this. First, don’t be anxious or fearful. Fear is never a Christian response. God tells us not to be afraid more than God tells us anything else. Second, keep in perspective how blessed we are as a people. Third, realize that our hope isn’t in a President or a government or a business or a pension. Our hope is in God.

Reinhold Niebuhr, the great theologian of the previous century, was talking to Harry Emerson Fosdick, the renowned preacher at Riverside Church in New York City. Niebuhr was a pessimist; Fosdick, an optimist. They were talking about the future of civilization and agreed that there was not much light; things looked dismal and bleak. They concluded with Niebuhr saying to Fosdick, “If you will be a pessimist with me, decade by decade, I will be an optimist with you, century by century.”

I like that conversation. Because human beings exercise their God-given freedom and can choose to use their power for evil, we sometimes are made pessimists about the present. But because God has done, is doing it and will do it…take human deeds meant for evil and turn them into blessings…and because God always has the last word, we can and should be optimists for the future. The worst thing we can do is believe that the present problems of the world can’t be overcome.

So, let’s not panic. Let’s keep a realistic perspective of how blessed we are. Let’s respond--as we are able--to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, help the hurting, and give to those in need. As our long-term hope is in the Lord, let’s pay attention to how God might use us to intervene to those who are facing short-term adversity.

Often I close my scribblings with the phrase: the best is yet to come… I believe this. I really do.

Training Update:

It was too cold and windy for my liking today, so I kept it indoors on the treadmill at the gym. I did 9 miles in an hour. I started off slower (7.0 mph / 8:34 per mile) and gradually worked my way up to 12.0 mph / 5:00 mile for the last half mile.

No comments: