Saturday, February 14, 2009

Psycho Wyco 20.7 Mile Trail Race

Happy Valentine's Day from David

This hill is pretty typical of the landscape at the Psycho Wyco trail races. I ran the 20.7 mile race this morning. I got 4th place with a time of 3:19:06.

This is a shot of me fairly early in the race. Probably about 4 miles or so. I started off pretty slow and was moving good starting at about 3 miles or so. I passed a bunch of people between 3 and 7 miles. I was running fast down a steep hill at 7 miles when I stepped on a big rock that was covered by leaves. My foot twisted hard, I fell forward, and landed on another rock with my left shoulder. I walked for about a minute or so and then tried jogging. It was painful but I kept at it. The ankle got better between 8 and 10 miles. After that it progressively got worse. I hobbled through the last 10 miles. My split the first half was 1:28 and was 1:50 for the 2nd half. I had planned on running even splits, but with my injured foot, that wasn't even close to happening today.

Anyway, I got a nice medal and a pair of muddy shoes for my efforts. It was a great race. I'll be back next year to run that 2nd lap on my terms.

David, Jeff, and I hustled back to Omaha to spend the rest of Valentine's Day with our families.

No comments: