Friday, February 27, 2009

Emotional Health

Sometimes I think the reason I run is for fitness. To feel good and stay healthy.

Other times I think I run for competition. Not necessarily with others, but with myself. Can I keep getting better as I get older? Can I push myself harder? Can I train smarter?

Other times I think I run for friendship. I've met great friends in the past few years. It's easy to get to know somebody when you are running beside them for 60 minutes or 120 minutes. No cell phones or Internet or distractions. Just talking and listening and laaughing.

Other times I run for emotional health. I don't know why or how, but running generally clears my mind. It helps me think more clearly, puts things in perspective, and and be creative.
This afternoon's run was for emotional health. I had a long day and wasn't feeling the best. At 5:00 p.m. instead of going home, I stopped at the gym for an hour. I was going to take a few more days off from running for my sprained ankle, but needed a run for to clear my mind. My left foot felt okay. Everything else felt great. I messed around with the speed and incline on the treadmill. I didn't push it too hard. 8 miles in 53:53 or 6:44 per mile. It was very warm at the gym. I worked up a great sweat and more importantly, a rested mind.

No comments: