Sunday, January 28, 2007

37 Things I Have Learned

37 Things I Have Learned

Another 14 hour work day today. Obviously no running.

I will be 37 on February 2nd. Happy Groundhog's Day! Here are my reflections about 37 things I have learned in 37 years. I shared this with the people of The Water’s Edge this morning.

37. I have learned that humor is not the opposite of seriousness; humor is the opposite of despair.

36. I have learned to seek God's purpose and plan for my life. Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

35. I have learned that the marriage relationship is the most important human relationship that we have.

34. I have learned that sometimes it doesn't take a lot of training to do things. It just takes the will to want to do it. Sometimes it’s not ready, aim, fire. Sometimes it’s ready, fire, aim!

33. I have learned that money is not the key to contentment. Matthew 16:26 – And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?

32. I have learned that forgiveness is the key to contentment. Forgiving and living is better than remembering and resenting.

31. I have learned to learn from my mistakes. Or at least I should have this one figured out by now.

30. I have learned that if life hands you lemons make lemonade.

29. I have learned that wherever I go, the worst drivers in the world follow me.

28. I have learned that knowing where you want to go is the most important step in getting there. The journey of the thousand miles begins with a single step.

27. I have learned to get your chips in the middle with the best hand.

26. I have learned that you’ll never be able to tell someone how much they mean to you once they’re gone. If you love somebody tell them today.

25. I have learned that big dreams lead to a big life. What are you dreaming about?

24. I have learned that life is most livable and most enjoyable in the company of others.

23. I have learned about the joy of Christ's love: From the outside looking in, it's hard to understand. From the inside looking out, it's hard to explain.

22. I have learned that the function of prayer is not necessarily to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.

21. I have learned one of the most important things I can do is encourage others.

20. I have learned that time is God’s gift to us and what we do with time is our gift to God. Manage your time or your time will manage you.

19. I have learned (or at least I should have learned by now) that planning in advance is a good thing.

18. I have learned that I should love others unconditionally as my dog loves me.

17. I have learned that sometimes life is hard, but our response makes a difference. Pain in life is inevitable; suffering is optional.

16. I have learned that the end is not death; the end is life.

15. I have learned that laughter from a child is precious and priceless.

14. I have learned that laughter from an adult is almost as precious and almost as priceless.

13. I have learned that the best way to be happy is to make somebody else happy.

12. I have learned that to risk is to lose one's footing momentarily. Not to risk is to lose oneself. What are you risking?

11. I have learned not to forget to love myself.

10. I have learned that God makes saints out of sinners. God has always been in the business of changing lives, God is in the business of changing lives, and that God will always be in the business of changing lives.

9. I have learned that I am closest to God and my life makes that most sense when I read the Bible daily.

8. I have learned that we must find time to rest in God’s love and simply find time to be still in God’s presence. Matthew 11:28 – Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Psalm 46:10 – Be still and know that I am God.

7. I have learned to live life to the fullest because you never know when life is going to end.

6. I have learned that life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

5. I have learned that what is, is and what isn't, isn't. Learn to deal with it. 2 Corinthians 12:9 – My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

4. I have learned that there is a difference between loving and being in love. The former is a verb and a gift from God. The latter is an adjective that describes a temporary feeling.

3. I have learned that we look most like Jesus when we serve others.

2. I learned that when I was younger I thought I knew everything, but I didn't. The older I get, the less I know I know. I can’t wait what God is going to teach me today.

1. I have learned that God loves me.

No comments: