Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Waiting for Another Day

The plan today was to run 22.2 miles - 3 trips around Lake Zorinsky. The first lap was going to be at 7:15 per mile, the second lap was going to be at 7:00 per mile, and the last lap was going to be at 6:30 per mile.
After one lap I was doing great. It was easy, just like it should have been. I finished right at 7:15 per mile.
After two laps I just wasn't feeling it. I averaged 6:59 per mile, but wasn't feeling the best. I had a feeling that I couldn't do the last lap at 6:30 per mile. So, I called it a day and saved my legs for another day.
Sometimes life is like that. We have a plan and things don't necessarily go the way we want them to go. An old axiom exists: You can lose the battle, but still win the war.
Sometimes we just have to be flexible and be willing to make revisions when things don't go our way. We have to be willing to keep our eye on the final destination and not become too discouraged with the obstacles on the way. Some of the people who inspire me the most are people who overcome setbacks and move toward realizing their dreams in life!
I'll give it another try on Friday and count myself as blessed that I got to spend part of a beautiful fall morning outside.

No comments: