Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Patience

As of last night, I'm injured. Not from running. But wrestling with a seven year old. I don't get injured much, but I really dislike being injured.

Patience (pā-shənz) is the state of endurance under difficult circumstances, which can mean persevering in the face of delay or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset; or exhibiting forbearance when under strain, especially when faced with longer-term difficulties.

"Let nothing disturb thee; Let nothing dismay thee; all thing pass; God never changes. Patience attains all that it strives for. He who has God finds he lacks nothing: God alone suffices." -Teresa of Avila

Patience helps us in all areas of life. It is kind of counter-cultural in the instant gratification society that we live in. But God wants to bless us with patience. Patience is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. (Galatians 5:22) Biblical patience isn't passively waiting. It is persevering towards a goal, enduring trials, or expectantly waiting for a promise to be fulfilled.

Patience isn't always easy for me. But, when I figure out how to be patient, my life seems to make the most sense. I suspect the same is true with you.

Remember this truth when times get tough: God alone suffices.

No comments: