Wednesday, October 29, 2008

30 Things I Would Do

I am doing a sermon series right now called "One Month to Live." The goal is to help people get the most out of this once to be lived and never to be repeated life that God gives us. If I knew I had one month to live, here is what I would try to do:
  1. Buy a lot of life insurance.
  2. Get a new picture taken of myself for the next four church bulletins.
  3. Run a 100 mile race. I have always wanted to do one.
  4. Spend a couple days having loved ones take care of me after the above-mentioned 100 mile race.
  5. Eat a lot of baby back ribs.
  6. Eat a lot of key lime pie and chocolate chip cookies.
  7. Watch a few of my favorite Seinfeld episodes.
  8. Get rid of all my alarm clocks.
  9. Spend more time thanking people.
  10. Forgive more.
  11. Spend less time worrying about what others think of me.
  12. Play more with the boys.
  13. Pray more for the boys.
  14. Listen more. Talk less.
  15. Spend a few days serving the oppressed and the marginalized.
  16. Spend a day or two at the lake hanging out with friends and tearing around on the wave runner.
  17. Be a comedian in a comedy club for a night.
  18. Play more with my dog.
  19. Sit down with AJ and write one last song.
  20. Go for one last run at Platte River State Park.
  21. Go for one last run with all my running friends and give them a sweaty hug goodbye.
  22. Preach the four best sermons I’ve ever preached.
  23. Have one last chili cook-off at the church and fix the contest so I win.
  24. Post-chili cook-off: Stand at the door and say goodbye to everybody, thanking you for sharing your life with me and thanking you for allowing me to share my life with you.
  25. Go visit my parents. Thank them and say goodbye.
  26. Write letters to both my boys and put them in a Bible. That way they would have a letter from their earthly father and their heavenly Father.
  27. Spend more time with Amber.
  28. Read the Bible more, pray more, and spend more time with God. I’ll be doing a lot of it, so it will be good practice!
  29. Invite others to do the same.
  30. Thank God for my life.

Training Update

It was a perfect day for running. I ran on the trail at Lake Zorinsky this afternoon.

1.75 mile warm-up

9 miles at my current marathon pace (about 6:25 per mile). My total time was 57:56.

I jogged .25 miles for a cool-down.

Much better than yesterday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is great! How do you keep everything going? The List brought tears to my eyes (literally). The solution to #17 is for a bunch of your friends (you have at least 52 + 1) to rent the Funny Bone Comedy Club for a night. That would be perfect--but they might want to keep you! No way!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Thank you!!!

Lonnie said...

Wow...that was some list. Wish my head and my heart were that clear right now so that I could put my priorities like that in writing. Am missing Water's Edge more than I can say. You guys are the greatest. Hug Amber for me!

Anonymous said...

This is very nice work.

Craig Finnestad said...

Anonymous, Jennifer, and Jim - Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you found this helpful.

Craig Finnestad said...

Hey Lonnie,

Good to hear from you. We miss you, Steve, and the kids. Thanks so much for the nice card. That was very thoughtful and meant a lot.