Sunday, October 12, 2008

Vacation, Day 2

4:30 in the morning came pretty early. Like 4:30. I ate a blueberry Clif Bar, loaded up my gear, and drove to Disney. This race was very organized. I parked at Epcot Center and took the bus to the starting line.

It was a great race to run. It went through both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot Center. I found my place near the front at the start line. A few people, including a woman who was a dead ringer for my training partner Christy, budged in front of me. I figured I had 6.2 miles to catch them, so I was happy to spot them a few steps. I took it out in 5:45 per mile for the first 3 miles. I was in 7th place and closing on a group of three in front of me. I fell at about 3.5 miles on some wet asphalt. Nothing major. I got up. I slowed down the last 3 miles. Not because of the fall. More likely the heat and humidity, the tight turns at Magic Kingdom and Epcot Center, and a 22 mile run two days earlier. I managed to stay in 7th place out of about 3,000 runners. I won my age group and got some nice hardware.

The rest of the day was spent at the Magic Kingdom. We met up with some friends and had a blast. I think we did most everything at least once. The fireworks at night was awesome. Our favorite, probably because it was Benjamin's favorite, was Mickey's PhilharMagic. It was an incredibly fun 3-D movie. We left around 11:00 p.m. A very long, but great day!


Benjamin at Splash Mountain



Enjoying some turkey legs

Benjamin and friends

No comments: