Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Seeing Beauty

Seeing Beauty

The workout today didn't go as planned. I wanted to do 12 x 400 meter repeats with about 90 seconds of jogging between each repeat. All the tracks had snow on them, so I used my GPS watch at Lake Zorinsky.

I ran pretty well, but was about five seconds slower on each 400 than I had planned. Even though the trail was plowed, there was still plenty of snow, wet spots, and slippery spots. Maybe that was why I was a little slow. My left hamstring was a little tender and my legs felt heavy. That was probably part of the problem too. The heart and lungs got a good workout nonetheless. I completed all 12 repeats with a mile warm-up and cool-down.

I was getting ready to start my second to last repeat when I noticed the beauty of my surroundings. The snow covered the evergreens surrounding the trail. It was so quiet and peaceful. I wonder how often we miss the beauty of our surroundings because we are either too busy or too familiar. Sometimes it's best to stop what we are doing and enjoy the beauty around us. And no matter where you are--beauty exists.

No comments: