Monday, May 31, 2010

Vision

A vision is not just a picture of what could be in the future; vision is an appeal to make our lives and the lives of others better, more significant, and more meaningful. The Bible tells us where vision doesn’t exist, people perish. (Proverbs 29:18) When people aren’t moving forward—making our lives and the lives of others better, more significant, and more meaningful—we are perishing.

I recently spoke at a conference for college aged students. I challenged the students to create a vision for their lives. I challenged them that they wouldn’t be limited by their ability in life. They would only be limited by their vision. I told them of my good friend and former training partner Kurt Fiene. Kurt is legally blind. Kurt won the visually impaired division at the Boston Marathon in 2009. In his mid 40s, Kurt not only beat all the visually impaired runners, he beat over 95% of runners who can see fine. What Kurt lacks in the ability to see he more than makes up for with vision in his mind.

Vision looks inward and becomes duty. Vision looks outward and becomes aspiration. Vision looks upward and becomes faith. –Stephen Wise

I thought about those college students. I hope that night for some of them was a defining moment in their life when they can look back and say they figured out who God wanted them to be and they started becoming that person. When the students were praying and sharing about vision for their lives, I thought about what God wants for The Water’s Edge in its mission to make lives of people better, more significant, and more meaningful. And I have been thinking about that a lot since then.

We are at a crossroads of sorts. This fall, in an attempt to reach more people, we will be adding a 9:00 worship experience. It won’t be easy, but it is the right thing to do. We are also going to relaunch our small groups. If you are not volunteering on Sunday morning or in a small group, I encourage you to get involved. I sincerely believe these practices make our lives better, more significant, and more meaningful.

Last night, I read the Parable of the Lost Sheep. I know that God wants us to reach out to and minister to hurting people, people who don’t consider a relationship with God an option for their lives, and people who have been hurt by the church. I see us building wells in Africa, supporting orphanages in Eastern Europe, developing a network of small groups throughout Omaha, running a recovery ministry where addicted people can receive the support of others and the power of God.

Maybe I’m a dreamer, but I remember all those miles I ran with a blind guy who had a vision not to be limited by his ability. And, I remember that our God is a really big God and we can do all things through him.

The best is yet to come…

Craig

No comments: