Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builder

Matthew 7:24-27

24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. 26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. 27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”



S - Scripture

25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the flood waters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock.

O - Observation

πετραν is the Greek word for bedrock used in this text. Most English translations simply use the work rock. It's literal meaning generally means large stone. A common metaphorical meaning is a strong person with reason and strength of soul. Both are wonderful meanings for this word as they symbolize the physical, mental, and spiritual areas of our lives. Another observation is the expectation of the flood waters (see Isaiah 43:2). Jesus does not promise a life that is free from trouble and affliction. In fact, he promises that we will have flood waters and trouble (see John 16:33).

A - Application

The above painting is an insightful piece of art. The sand castle will not last. They never do. The house on the rock in not going to be moved. It's foundation is rock.

As I apply this short parable to my life, I ask the question: Am I building sand castles or a house with a foundation on the rock? Jesus' teaching is a challenge to all areas.
  • Are my finances a sand castle or a house on a rock?
  • Is my marriage a sand castle or a house on a rock?
  • It my parenting a sand castle or a house on a rock?
  • Is my physical health a sand castle or a house on the rock?
  • Is my vocation as a pastor a sand castle or a house on the rock?
  • Are my friendships a sand castle or a house on the rock?
  • Is my mental health a sand castle or a house on the rock?
  • Is my relationship with God a sand castle or a house on the rock?
As God makes a challenge; God also offers a promise: when times get tough our lives will not collapse.

P - Prayer

Lord, I have been building sand castles in too many areas of my life. They are easy to build and fun to build. But, they don't last. Help me to invest the rest of my life building houses on the rock. In the areas that matter most, empower me to do what is right and not what is easy. Change my thinking from short-term convenience to long-term faithfulness. Thanks for being with me when the floods come. Amen.

No comments: