Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Parable of the Growing Seed

Mark 4:26-29

26 Jesus also said, “The Kingdom of God is like a farmer who scatters seed on the ground. 27 Night and day, while he’s asleep or awake, the seed sprouts and grows, but he does not understand how it happens. 28 The earth produces the crops on its own. First a leaf blade pushes through, then the heads of wheat are formed, and finally the grain ripens. 29 And as soon as the grain is ready, the farmer comes and harvests it with a sickle, for the harvest time has come.”




S - Scripture

27 Night and day, while he’s asleep or awake, the seed sprouts and grows, but he does not understand how it happens.

O - Observation

Jesus gives us a picture of the limitations of humanity and the possibilities of God. The farmer didn't do anything to make the seed grow. He doesn't even understand it! Jesus also gives us a picture of hope. At night, in our times of darkness, God brings the increase. Just like God sustains us in days of joy, health, and strength.

A - Application

I need to daily remember who I am and who I am not. I'm a gifted person who is loved by God. I'm also quite imperfect with many limitations. God is God: loving, perfect, and unlimited. I can do more with God than I could ever do without God. When times are good and when times are not so good, I'll trust in Him for the increase.

P - Prayer

Lord, you are always working: When I'm awake and when I'm asleep. You never forget me. Help me to never forget who I am and who you are: loving, perfect, and unlimited. Help me to depend less on me and more on you. Amen.

No comments: