Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

Here is my column for Sunday morning:

Death. It’s something we don’t like to think about. Maybe it’s the mystery. Maybe it’s the finality. Maybe it’s saying goodbye forever, at least as we know it in this world.

I’ve done two funerals this week, so I have been thinking about death. Both stories were different. They always are because each life is different. All of us are living a unique life. Our life will never be repeated. We all leave a unique fingerprint on the world. People are different, but God remains the same:
  • Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. –John 14:1-2
  • Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. –Psalms 23:4
  • He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. –Revelation 21:4
On Wednesday evening, a longtime friend of mine died in a bicycling accident. Accidents like this don’t seem fair and they are not. Questions of why will never be sufficiently answered this side of the grave. Only when we replace the question of why? with the question of Who? will our lives ever start to make sense again. Who has prepared a place of us? Who will walk with us in times of trouble and who will comfort us? Who will wipe the tears from our eyes?

Whenever one thinks about death one also has to think about life. And I think about my friend and his life. His two boys know him as dad. And he was about as good as they come. He was a science teacher. Hundreds of people sat in his classes. Some were inspired to become chemists, pharmacists, nurses, and doctors because of Al. Others simply saw a man teaching a subject he loved to students he loved even more. We saw patience, compassion, excellence, honesty, and servanthood. Al may have been paid to teach chemistry and physics, but his vocation and his calling was to teach about life. This former student gives the teacher an A+.

Monday is Memorial Day. We honor and remember those who have gone before us. We remember the lessons they taught us, the love they gave us, and the life they lived: imperfect people who joined us on this journey called life. And we remember God, who in all His perfection, is with us and will always be with us.

In Christ,

Craig

No comments: