Sunday, August 16, 2009

Made: Holy Discontent

Here is the message from this morning. Listen here.

1. Broken Dreams

For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. –Isaiah 55:9

Question to consider:

What brokenness and past experiences do you have that will enable you to serve hurting people?


2. About Face

I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. -Philippians 3:7

God used a zealous persecutor of the church in a dramatic way.

Question to consider:

What area(s) of your life do you need to surrender to Christ’s authority?


3. Act like the people wearing a red vest

Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. -Philippians 2:3-4

Instead of asking, “What can I get from life or others today?” we need to be asking, “What can I give to serve God and others?”

Question to consider:

How different would your life and attitude be if you spent your day looking for opportunities to serve others?


4. I Spy

And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. -Colossians 3:17

Our lives are filled with opportunities to serve God. It’s our job to spy them out.

Questions to consider:

How do you serve God already in little ways by the way you think, speak, and act? What are you going to do to find additional opportunities and serve God in those ways?


5. You are Not so Weird

Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. -Psalm 139:14

When you seek to understand why people consistently and predictably behave the way they do, you can form a relationship that has charge but isn’t going to blow up.

Questions to consider:

Do people who behave differently frustrate you or do you appreciate their differences? Why?


6. Character vs. Personality

Romans 12:2

Character at its most basic level is doing what’s right, no matter what.

God’s heart and God’s desire is that our character would dictate our personality.

Question to consider:

Are you allowing your personality to dictate your behavior or does your character dictate your personality?

7. Velsigne

And all the families of the earth will be blessed through you and your descendants. What’s more, I am with you, and I will protect you wherever you go. One day I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have finished giving you everything I have promised you. -Genesis 28:14-15

God’s blessings are not negated by our shortcomings.

Questions to consider:

God’s blessings are given so you can give to others. What has He given you that you can share with others?

No comments: