Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Humility

I think Mark Twain once said that golf is a good walk interrupted. I'm not much of a golfer. I have played four times this year which is four times more than I played last year.

I do enjoy playing. It is peaceful. My first two holes were pretty rough. I found myself about 30 yards past the green on the scenic par four third hole at Pacific Springs. Shortly after I gently hit a pitching wedge, the ball rolled into the hole. Par.

On the fourth hole I hit a nice drive and a good second shot. I was just off the green. I softly hit a seven iron and the ball rolled toward the hole, stopping less than an inch short. I tapped in the little putt. Par.

The fifth hole was a short par three. My tee shot made it twenty yards before it stopped in the rough before almost going out of bounds. The second shot flew out of the rough all the way to the back of the long, narrow green. The fifty foot putt was a piece of cake. It ended up in the bottom of the hole. Par.

The sixth hole was a long par five. I shot a ten. The last three holes weren't much better. It was fun while it lasted.

One way to think of humility is an inward and willing recognition of the mismatch between the immense challenge (in this case golf, but generally life) and our own limited capacities. Thank you holes six through nine for reminding me of humility.

Thanks for the fun night Jason, Jason, and Lyle.

No comments: