Monday, November 14, 2011

Create in Me a Thankful Heart

Thanksgiving is a national holiday. The day before and the Sunday after Thanksgiving are two of the busiest travel days of the year. It usually involves eating thousands of calories: turkey, dressing, potatoes, cranberries, some kind of corn, and pumpkin pie are usually on the menu. The Lions and the Cowboys always seem to be playing in a football game. And the newspaper is huge. Dozens of color advertisements are inserted between the sports and the business sections advertising 80% off things we don't need if we shop between midnight and four in the morning. Somehow I think we are missing the point of Thanksgiving.

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. -1 Thessalonians 5:18

Last week I wrote this prayer early one morning. I want to encourage you to pray it regularly - especially in the days leading up to Thanksgiving. It would be great to pray together as a family. A thankful heart is a cure to jealousy, greed, envy, selfishness, and taking people and things for granted. A thankful heart also can connect us to God in ways we haven't been connected to God before.


Dear God, 

Create in me a thankful heart. 
Develop in me a grateful mind. 
Give me an appreciative spirit. 

I confess feelings of jealously toward the actions of others. 
I confess feelings of envy toward the possessions, attributes, and skills of others. 
I confess feelings of greed that have caused ungratefulness in my life. 
Create in me a thankful heart. 

I have focused on what I don’t have rather than what I do have. 
I have taken for granted many of your blessings. 
I have wanted more than I have needed. 
Create in me a thankful heart. 

For your fellowship 
For my family 
For my friends 
I give you thanks. 

For a warm bed to sleep and good food to eat 
For clean water to drink and a clear mind to think 
For comfortable clothes to wear and a life to share 
I give you thanks. 

For your grace for my mistakes 
For your power when I am weak 
For your love when I am alone 
I give you thanks. 

For your presence and promise in times of grief and trials 
For your hope and light in days of despair and darkness 
For creating the unique person I am 
I give you thanks. 

For laughter and smiles and hugs and most tears 
For the ability to embrace and to be embraced 
For recovery, restoration, repair, and reconciliation 
I give you thanks. 

Give me an appreciative spirit. 
Develop in me a grateful mind. 
Create in me a thankful heart. 

Amen.


4 comments:

Abigail said...

Such a beautiful prayer. Thank you so much for sharing this!

John Williams said...

Wonderful work. I will be using this with my church on Sunday. Thanks brother!

Shiela said...

This is a great way to end my day and will be a great way to start the day tomorrow. Great words.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful weaving of words... thank you! This prayer will certainly be added to my journal for daily reading and absorption.