Friday, June 12, 2009

YDHWIT To Handle Everything

Here are the notes for this Sunday's sermon: You Don't Have What It Takes To Handle Everything.

Objective: To admit we can’t do it all alone and to experience freedom by giving our burdens to God.

Do, do you really think that God’s intention for us is to be consistently overwhelmed, over burdened, and stressed out? Something is wrong. What culture calls normal living today, God must call insane, unbiblical, dangerous, and wrong.

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” -Matthew 11:28-30

Jesus was unquestionably busy, but He wasn’t hurried, and there is a huge difference. We can be busy and productive without being hurried, because busy-ness happens, but hurriedness is a sickness of the soul. God did not design you to handle it all.

1. Some burdens are meant to be shared

Many of us are good at giving help. It is a challenge for many of us to ask for and receive physical and / or emotional help.

“This is not good!” Moses’ father-in-law exclaimed. “You’re going to wear yourself out—and the people, too. This job is too heavy a burden for you to handle all by yourself. -Exodus 18:17

Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.
-Galatians 6:2

2. Some things need to be stopped

But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”
-Luke 10:41

Fill in the blank. If I had more time I would _____________________. Now you have an assignment. Whatever is in your blank is what I want you to be doing more of. Starting today.

Be still (raphaw), and know that I am God! –Psalm 46:10

Raphaw – raw-faw’ – To slacken, to allow to sink, to let drop. Best translation: Drop it.


Action Step: Create a To-Don’t List. It’s just like a to-do list, but it only contains items of things you won’t do.

3. Everything needs to be surrendered

I wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will never be shaken.
-Psalm 62:1-2

Give (shalak) your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you.
-Psalm 55:22

Shalak – Cast, hurl, throw.
Questions for individual and group study
What radical change do you need to make to grow closer to God and to live in closer community with others?

Describe a time when you needed help but didn’t ask for it or didn’t
accept it.

Why is it difficult for us to accept help from others?

“Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about what happens to you.” -1 Peter 5:7 (NLT)

Why is it sometimes difficult for us to ask for or accept help from God?

Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” -Matthew 11:28

What burdens are you carrying that are heavy and exhausting?

In what practical ways can you give these burdens to God?

“God blesses those who realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is given to them.” -Matthew 5:3 (NLT)

Prayer:

Lord I admit my need for you in every area of my life. Please help me to give my burdens completely to you and experience the freedom of leaving them in your hands. Amen.
Credit: Craig Groeschel

No comments: