Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Uncomfortable

I ran early this morning to escape the heat. It didn't work. Laura and I took off at 5:45. By 5:50 my gray t-shirt was soaked. The dew point was 77 degrees which is about as high as it gets. The air was super-saturated with water. It was getting hot and the sun was already beating down. The trail around the lake was crowded. All of us runners form some kind of strange solidarity on days like this. We all kind of gave each other a laughing glance at the absurdity of the conditions.

Meanwhile, a pastor and a dentist, made their trek around the lake. We talked about marathons and life. We stopped for water at each of the 3 fountains along the 7.5 mile journey.

After the run I was thinking that I am thankful that most days aren't like this. I was also grateful to be able to beat the elements and not let the elements beat me. Finally, even though it was a tough run, it was a great way to start the day!

No comments: