Saturday, April 7, 2007

Hands

Hands

I went to see Ray the massage guy today. One of the things I will remember my future former training partner Maureen for is hooking me up with him. He has sharp elbows and hands like vice grips. He worked every muscle and tissue and tendon in my legs and feet for sixty minutes, including some I didn't even know I had. It was simultaneous pain and pleasure. I feel like a new man.

Hands can be used to take. They can give. They can make obscene gestures. They can say, "I love you." They can serve.



Today I served communion two times with my hands. Once at a nursing home. Once at church. I typed part of my sermon for Sunday with my hands. I changed a few diapers and then washed my hands. I pitched a ball with my hands to my son who stood on the other side of our family room eagerly awaiting the ball's arrival with his bat that he was holding with his little hands. I am typing this with my hands. Hopefully you get something out of these scribblings. Hands are most beautiful when they are serving and saying "I love you."
A few years ago I did a wedding when I was at Lovers Lane Church in Dallas. With a name like that, you are correct in assuming that I did a lot of weddings. The couple asked me to do a hands ceremony. I had never seen one before. They asked me to make a few revisions to the liturgy they gave me. Here is the final product:
Shane, please hold Jamie's hands, palms up, where you may see the gift that they are to you.
These are the hands of your best friend, smooth, young and carefree, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as she promises her love and commitment to you all the days of her life.
These are the hands that will hold your children in tender love, soothing them through illness and hurt, supporting and encouraging them along the way, and knowing when it is time to let go.
These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through the difficult times and cheer you through triumphs.
These are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick, or console you when you are grieving.
These are the hands that will love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.
And lastly, these are the hands when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.
Jamie, please face Shane, and hold his hands, palms up, so you may see the gift that they are to you.
These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and vibrant with love,
that are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises his love and commitment to you all the days of his life.
These are the hands that will work along side yours, as together you build your future, as you laugh and cry, as you share your innermost secrets and dreams.
These are the hands that will work long hours for you and your family. These are the hands that will love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.
These are the hands that will countless times wipe tears from your eyes: tears of sorrow and tears of joy.
These are the hands that will comfort you in illness, and hold you when you feel fear or grief. These are the hands that will reassure you with strength and love.
These are the hands that will tenderly lift your chin and brush your cheek as they raise your face to look into his eyes: eyes that are filled completely with his love for you.
And lastly these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching four yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.
How are your hands doing?
My hands got a workout today, but the legs and feet didn't. I had a planned day off from running to rest for the race which is only ten days away.
Here is a picture of David and David and Georgia. Maybe these little hands will get him a spot on Nebraska's baseball team in about 18 years. Thanks to Mike and Carly for the outfit. Thanks to Georgia for taking time out of her busy day to pose.

No comments: