Friday, September 3, 2010

Turning Four

I have a son who is almost four. David is learning new words all the time. He loves to go on walks at night and learn about the world. He doesn’t sit for too long. His imagination is vivid. He loves silly songs. He doesn’t like being alone. He is a lot different now than he was about four years ago! In four years he will be a lot like our nine year old son, Benjamin.

Sometimes I want to hit the pause button. I don’t want the boys to lose their soft skin or their innocence or their playfulness. I look at pictures from their past and at times I even want to hit the rewind button. But I can’t push those buttons and even if I could, I wouldn’t because I would delay or even prevent the boys from becoming the person God has created them to be.

Next Sunday, The Water’s Edge turns four. We are a lot different now than we were four years ago. There are a lot more of us (we have more children on Sunday mornings than we had total people four years ago). We have added three staff people. We have hundreds of great volunteers who make this ministry happen. We have one of the best Sunday morning kid’s ministries around. We collect tons and tons of food for hungry people right here in Omaha.

At times I want to hit the pause button. I don’t want us to lose some of the things that make us so unique. I think about the past and even want to hit the rewind button occasionally. But I can’t and even if I could, I wouldn’t because I would delay or even prevent The Water’s Edge from becoming the congregation God has created us to be.

Benjamin has gone through four pairs of soccer cleats in four seasons. His foot keeps growing. Because of growth in our first year, we moved from Russell Middle School to Millard West High School. Next week, beginning September 12th, we will be getting a new pair of cleats: a 9:00 worship service will be added to our existing 10:30 worship service. Here is what you need to know.

  1. Both worship services will be very similar in form and content to our current 10:30 worship service.
  2. The kid’s ministry at 10:30 will remain the same.
  3. The kid’s ministry at 9:00 will only be available for birth through pre-school. We hope to develop a Sunday school for older children in the near future.
  4. We are expecting a much bigger crowd of people at the 10:30 services. If you are trying to decide which service to attend, especially if you don’t have elementary aged children, give the 9:00 service a try!
  5. We will have time and space for breakfast, snacks, and relationship building between services. Stay late and come early!
  6. We will be adding adult classes on Sunday morning. A 10:30 class will start on September 12th. We will be starting other classes soon!

I'm looking forward to starting the next chapter of our life together as a congregation and together as individuals next Sunday on our fourth birthday!

The best is yet to come…

Craig

No comments: