Friday, September 10, 2010

Exploring

I love to read and learn about explorers. Sea explorers. Space explorers. Mountain explorers. Growing up in the Midwest, Lewis and Clark are my favorites. Amber and the boys had to drag me out of the Museum of Westward Expansion during a recent trip to St. Louis. Explorers expand new boundaries. They take risks hoping the reward is even greater. Explorers are people who change the world or die trying. On my desk I have a quote from Scottish Missionary, David Livingstone: “I am prepared to go anywhere, provided it be forward.”

Four years ago this weekend, Faith-Westwood did some exploring. A few dozen of us prepared to launch a new ministry: The Water's Edge. On September 10, 2006 we met at Russell Middle School not knowing what to expect. We had lots of rain, lots of guests, and began our exploration together. This morning we are exploring again. I have no idea how this morning will turn out, but I’m looking forward to more people serving together, getting connecting to each other, and growing closer to God.

Today is also a morning when we start a five-week study about exploring what the next stage of our lives look like. As I have planned, studied, and prayed; I’m more excited about this series than any series I’ve done before.

To our guests and people who have started worshipping with us recently: I really hope that you will join this exploration with us. I hope that our church becomes your church and that you move from being our guest, to becoming our friend, to becoming our family.

To our volunteers: Just when things were getting pretty comfortable, we are going exploring again. I’ve said it before and will say it again many times: The Water’s Edge would simply not be possible without you. Many of you are taking on additional responsibilities as we go exploring. I don’t know of a church anywhere that has volunteers who are as dedicated as our volunteers. If you are not currently volunteering and would like to begin serving, as of this morning, we have plenty of opportunities for you.

One more thing. I like a clean house. Clean, organized, clutter-free is what I prefer. With a nine-year old boy, a three-year old boy, and a one-hundred and fifty pound dog; our house isn’t always clean, organized, or clutter-free. I have discovered in life that I would rather have a party and clean up the mess than have no party at all. I’ll take the two boys and the dog ten times out of ten. I know over the next few weeks we will have a little messiness to clean up as we transition to two worship services. Thanks for your patience and your help! Being willing to clean up a little messiness simply means that we are prepared to go anywhere, as long as it is forward.

I’m looking forward to exploring and moving forward with you.

The best is yet to come…

Craig

No comments: