Thursday, January 7, 2010

Snow, Wind, and Cold or Making Lemons Out of Lemonade

Snow can be very nice. After it falls it is beautiful. It is good for skiing, sledding, making snowmen, snow angels, and throwing snowballs.

Wind is also a good thing. Where I grew up in northwest Iowa there are hundreds of wind farms that are outstanding sources of energy for the region. Wind can be used to fly kites and wind surf. There’s nothing quite like a cool breeze in the evening after a hot summer day.

Cold can be good too. As a runner, my favorite thing to do is put my overheated head underneath the water spigot at Lake Zorinsky. Some food needs to be stored where it is cold. Most of us enjoy many of our beverages cold.


I’m convinced that snow, wind, and cold are all good. The last month has convinced me that snow, wind, and cold—when combined—are not so good. As I write this, the kids are downstairs playing when they would normally be in school. I have an hour or so of moving snow in front of me this afternoon. Driving is a little more difficult. It isn’t much fun being outside. Actually it isn’t any fun being outside. We were able to have our Christmas Eve services, but many people were unable to get to them. Three days later we were unable to worship on Sunday morning. Many families, including ours, were not able to see each other. This weather is especially difficult on homeless people, people with inadequate shelter, handicapped people, and elderly people who have difficulty getting around even when the weather is good.

On Christmas morning, Benjamin and David woke up. Amber and I had been up for an hour or so. I looked at the driveway. We weren’t even going to make the short trek to Amber’s parent’s house in Papillion. It would just be the five of us. (I’m including Georgia the giant dog who is the only one of us to venture outside on Christmas Day.) The boys investigated the Christmas tree, the stockings, the snow on the deck, and Santa’s eaten cookies. We opened presents. We played games. We hung out. The weather outside was not going to change what was happening inside.

I’ve made it through thirty-nine Christmases. I’ll always fondly remember this one. Part of me thinks this is the closest we have ever come to capturing the spirit of the original Christmas: Joseph and Mary celebrating God making Himself one of us with the people they loved the most. Simple. Beautiful. Lovely. Precious. Graceful.


An old axiom exists that goes something like this: “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” Sometimes life is tough. Cold, wind, snow, illness, dysfunction, injury, brokenness, unfairness, addiction, etc… Bad things happen. Jesus tells us such will be the case. We get to choose this day how we react to the lemons that are thrown our way. I pray that we will all become experts at making lemonade.

In Christ,

Craig

No comments: