Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Burrito Mile

I had a nice 14 mile run at 6:00 in the morning. The big run for the day was at 2:30 in the afternoon at the Westside Track. It was the Burrito mile and it was a great race. Competitive Eating + Middle Distance Running = The Burrito Mile.
The airhorn goes off and the contestants eat a Qdoda Burrito as fast as possible.

I ate the burrito in about 3 minutes. About six or seven people were faster than me in the first part of the race. One guy ate it in way less than 2 minutes.

Then comes the mile. I ran well. I didn't know how much the giant burrito would slow me down. It wasn't much of an issue. I started off running about 5 minutes per mile. I passed everybody except the leader in the first half. With 500 meters to go, the leader had about 150 meters on me. I shut it down and settled for second place--no way I was going to catch him and I wasn't going to experience a reversal of fortune trying.

Burrito (3:00) + Mile Run (5:23) = Burrito Mile (8:23)

Post-run, I got the burrito taste out of my mouth with some ice cream from the Cold Stone Creamery and won't be eating a burrito anytime soon.

No comments: