Sunday, August 31, 2008

Back to School: How to Avoid Detention

This morning's message continued our series: Back to School. We looked at how to avoid detention.

Listen here

Here are some of my notes:

You have heard the law that says the punishment must match the injury: “An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth” But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also. If you are sued in court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too. If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles. Give to those who ask, and don’t turn away from those who want to borrow. You have heard the law that says, “Love your neighbor and hate your enemy” But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. -Matthew 5:38-47

Seven questions we must ask:

1. What are you more likely to change: the other person or your reaction to the other person?

2. The first question we must ask: Have I examined myself and taken responsibility for who I am?

Read Matthew 7:3-5

3. Would others say I overact to small things in a relationship?

Read Psalm 145:8 and Ecclesiastes 7:9

Always listen and get the Total Picture, find the appropriate Timing, and use the right Tone

4. Do I try to see things from other’s point of view?

Read Romans 12:3 and Luke 6:36

Instead of putting others in their place; we must put ourselves in their place.

5. Do I care enough to confront in the right way?

Read Matthew 18:15-17

6. Do I put situations ahead of my relationships?

Read Matthew 7:24-27

7. Do I treat others better than they treat me?

Read Luke 6:38

Keep a fair-sized cemetery in your back yard, in which to bury the faults of your friends. -Henry Ward Beecher

No comments: