Thursday, March 20, 2014

Φίλοι

Φίλοι. As far as Greek words go—it is as beautiful and powerful as they come. It’s only used twenty-nine times in the Bible and Luke is responsible for eighteen of them. Luke is a physician by trade. And the doctor knows the healing power of φίλοι. Jesus only uses the word a few times but when he does there is nothing quite like it. The word is simply translated as friend. 



Facebook says I have 1,849 friends. But I don’t. I do know all of them. I like all of them. I was their high school classmate. I ran with them a few times. I used to be their youth minister. Their kid plays on my soccer team. But I don’t have 1,849 friends. The word friend is used so liberally that it has lost its beauty and power. We confuse being an acquaintance with being a friend. But, at the end of the day, friendship can’t be confused with anything.

Friendship happens when two people can look at each other and say something like: “I’m getting more out of this relationship than I am putting into it.” A friend says to a friend: “I like myself better when I am with you.” Friends meet with a clean slate every time they get together and they meet as equals—things like age, political affiliation, wealth, success, stumbles, religion, and education don’t matter. The only thing that matters is each other. Friends know each other’s past and are fine with each other’s imperfections. Simply put, a friend can’t imagine their life without the other person. You can see why it’s not possible to have 1,849 friends.

Jesus only said a few things about friendship and after he said a few things he didn’t need to say anything else. 

Vulnerability

Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. –John 15:15 

Jesus left nothing unspoken to his friends. He shared his thoughts and feelings and encouraged others to do the same. Friends tell each other everything. They know burdens are lighter when shared and joys are greater when celebrated together. 

Trust

You are my friends if you do what I command. –John 15:14

Trust was involved when the disciples followed Jesus. They had faith Jesus loved them. They believed Jesus knew what was best for them. They trusted Jesus. Friends trust each other. Trust makes vulnerability and relational intimacy possible. The gift of trusting another and being trusted by another makes life possible.

Life-Giving

There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. –John 15:13

Jesus is saying that friendship isn’t free nor is it cheap. But those who are blessed with a true friend or two know that friendship is worth every minute, every penny, every tear, and every drop of energy they have ever invested and then some.

The best is yet to come…

Craig

No comments: