Friday, March 7, 2014

A Prayer for Lent

If you are seeking to grow in your prayer life during this season of Lent, I invite you to use this prayer. It is great to use in the morning or to take a few minutes in the middle of a hectic day to center and re-focus.

Dear God,

It is Lent. A season of renewal.
Days of reflection.
Nights of replenishment.
Weeks of repairing and refocusing.
Ending in resurrection and rebirth.


Lent is a journey that begins with a look at our mortality
and ends with God's 

Grant me discipline. 
Discipline to be faithful. 
Discipline to hunger for Your Word. 
Discipline to thirst for conversation and quiet time with You. 
Discipline to love what You love and to love like You love. 
Teach me again that discipline yields a rich harvest of grace and peace. 
Remove any obstacles between us and move me closer to You. 

Bless me with repentance. 
To turn away from anything that distances or distracts me from You. 
To turn from lust to love. 
To turn from fear to freedom. 
To turn from jealousy to justice. 
To turn from selfishness to service. 
To turn from haughtiness to humility. 
To turn from gluttony and greed to goodness and grace. 
To turn from doubting and depression to depending fully on You. 
To turn from worshipping counterfeit gods to worshipping You and You alone. 
Help me repent of my sins and turn to You, so that my sins are wiped away. 

Remind me of my mortality. 
I was created from dust and to dust I shall return. My time in the world You have created is limited. 
Help me make the most of it. 
Let Your dreams for me be my dreams for me. 
Make my purposes clear. Give me a passion for my purposes. 
And let me know this world is not my permanent home. 
Your Kingdom and Your heart is my true and eternal dwelling place. 

You are faithful to me. 
Recreate me in Your image so I am faithful to You and others. Do something in me during this season. 
Do something small and do something big. 
And as You do something in me; do something through me. 
Bless me and a make me a blessing to others and to the world. 
Let me experience the resurrection of Christ. 
Resurrect me. Give me a rebirth. Raise me to new levels of life. 

Amen.

No comments: