Friday, January 17, 2014

Simplicity

We live in a complex world. Schedules. Bills. Homework. Work. Healthcare. Health. Dreams. Dysfunction. Sports. Fatigue. Stress. To-do lists. Don't do lists. Managing an image. It can be a bit much at times. 

We behaved in the world with simplicity and godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God. -2 Corinthians 1:12


We live in a grey world. A world where caution comes before commitment. Where ambiguity supersedes clarity. Where busyness numbs focus and centering. All further add to the complexity of the world. And Jesus offers words of simplicity:

Just say a simple, "Yes, I will," or "No, I won’t." -Matthew 5:37

Jesus is pretty much saying keep things simple. Know who you want to become and who God wants you to become. Have a few priorities and let them define you. Don't let others define what your life is going to be about. You only get one chance at this. Embrace your dreams. Embrace the people around you. They aren't perfect, but you aren't either. Give grace and your chances of receiving some are a whole lot better. Just say yes to the things and people you need to say yes to and no to everything else. 

Two of my emails this week. Both made me smile and think. Two great words for an even better concept: simplicity. 

My one word for 2014 is "yes"

I want to continually say "yes" to God
I want to speak the word "yes" to my husband
I want to show my children "yes" each and every day
I want to say "yes" to love, hope, forgiveness, and grace. 

My one word for 2014 is "no"

I will say "no" to unimportant things.
"No" to things the distance me from God. 
I will live a year of no regrets. 
I will have no fear when opportunities come.
I will say "no" to unimportant things so I can say "yes" to the most important things
     God and my church
     My wife and children
     My friends and my dreams


I pray for all of us in 2014 that WE embrace simplicity in a complex world. I pray our "yeses" and "nos" are well thought out. And I pray our "yes" is "yes" and our "no" is "no" as we simplify, focus, and prioritize our lives. 

No comments: