David enjoying a simple moment
- Buy things for their usefulness rather than their status.
- Reject anything that is producing an addiction in you.
- Develop a habit of of deaccumulating. (Exhibit A: Have you ever watched the show Clean House before?)
- Enjoy things without owning them.
- Develop a deeper appreciation for God's creation.
- Look with a healthy skepticism for "buy now, pay later" transactions.
- Shun anything that distracts you from seeking first the kingdom of God.
He begins his chapter on simplicity with the following:
Simplicity is freedom. Duplicity is bondage. Simplicity brings joy and balance. Duplicity brings anxiety and fear.