Monday, December 21, 2009

Simple - Relate : Reconnect

Here are the notes from yesterday's sermon. We are sorry, but for the first time in three years, we had a problem with the recording and an audio recording is not available.

Recognize the importance of relationships

So if you are presenting a sacrifice at the altar in the Temple and you suddenly remember that someone has something against you, leave your sacrifice there at the altar. Go and be reconciled to that person. Then come and offer your sacrifice to God. -Matthew 5:23-24

Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow. -Norwegian Proverb

The quality of your life is the quality of your relationships. -Anthony Robbins

Be authentically yourself and let the other person authentically be themselves

And again they wept together, and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-bye. But Ruth clung tightly to Naomi. “Look,” Naomi said to her, “your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods. You should do the same.” But Ruth replied, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!” When Naomi saw that Ruth was determined to go with her, she said nothing more. -Ruth 1:14-18

Don't smother each other. No one can grow in the shade. -Leo Buscaglia

Be real with each other

Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. -James 5:16

Learn from and let go of the past

No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead. –Philippians 3:13

Relate to others today

So you, too, must keep watch! For you do not know the day or hour of my return. –Matthew 25:13

If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say? And why are you waiting? -Stephen Levine


No comments: